Permit Applications

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Maplewood's Construction Division oversees building of all kinds pursuant to New Jersey's Uniform Construction Code.

"When do I need a building permit?"

You must obtain a building permit from the Township's Construction Division before making the following changes to your house:

  • Replacing a roof
  • Installing new siding
  • Adding a bedroom or bathroom
  • Adding an addition
  • Interior alterations
  • Constructing a deck
  • Enclosing a porch
  • Installing a dishwasher
  • Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove and vice versa
  • Finishing a basement
  • New Kitchen
  • Central air conditioning
  • New Wiring
  • New furnace, boiler, or hot water heater
  • Lawn sprinkler systems

New Jersey Administrative Code 5:23 – 2.14

It shall be unlawful to construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure, or change the occupancy of a building or structure requiring greater strength, exit way, or sanitary provision, or to change a different use group, or to install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated by this chapter, or to undertake a project involving lead abatement in accordance with 5:17, without first filing an application with the construction official or the appropriate sub code official where the construction involves only one trade or in writing and obtaining the required permit therefore.

New Jersey Administrative Code 5:23-2.16

This code requires that the Building Department complete its review of plans in 20 business days from the date the application is received to grant or deny in whole or part and notify the applicant.

Notification will be by telephone to the responsible person, and said notification will include the total cost for the permits. Payment may be in the form of cash, check, or money order and is due at the time the permit has been approved. Checks and money orders are payable to:

Maplewood Township
574 Valley St.
Maplewood Township, NJ 07040

Elevator construction and inspection for new equipment or reinspection of existing equipment is performed by the State of New Jersey. Applications are obtained from the State website.

To make use of the codes of New Jersey with out purchasing they may be viewed through the Department of Community Affairs website at the Division of Codes and Standards link herein attached.

The most common permit applications for home improvement projects (pools, fences, etc.) and construction projects are below. Fill in the application completely. The links below let you fill them out electronically. Print out the completed form, and leave it in the drop box at the Park Road side entrance of Town Hall. The drop boxed is checked multiple times on a daily basis. We will email you if we need additional documentation to process your application through plan review.

After we complete plan review, we will email you the permit fee. You can leave the permit fee in the drop box, with a check or money order made out to “Township of Maplewood.” Once your application is processed and your payment is received, we will email you a permit enabling you to begin work. We will mail a paper copy of your permit by United States Postal Service.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer